How to install Upright
For installing Upright, follow the next steps.
- Create a Moodle server. You can do this on your own server or by a (free) Moodle hosting service like moodlecloud.com. Once you have a Moodle server and administrator rights on that server, continue to step 2. Registering your site is not required.
- If you want to use Upright with all its plug-ins, install the plug-ins MoodleOverflow and LevelUp!, otherwise (or if you use MoodleCloud) continue to step 3.
- If you have your server up and running, log in as an administrator and go to: Site Administration>Advanced Features, scroll to the bottom and check the box behind ‘Allow stealth activities’ (this will make sure that some of the content remains hidden, but accessible, which leads to clear overview of the course). The click ‘Save changes’.
- Create a course by following the following steps:
- Go to Site Administration>Courses>Manage courses and categories
- Click ‘Create new course’
- Choose a name and a shortname and click ‘Save and Display’
- Click ‘Proceed to course content’
- Restore the course by following the following steps:
- Make sure that you are in the course you just created.
- Click the gear wheel at the right side of the screen and click ‘Restore’
- Click ‘Choose a file’, select the tab ‘Upload a file’, click ‘Choose file’ and select the back-up file (with a .mbz extension). Then click ‘Upload this file’.
- Click ‘Restore’.
- Scroll down and click ‘Continue’.
- Go to the box titled ‘Restore into this course’ and select ‘Delete the contents of this course and then restore’ and select ‘Continue’ in that same box.
- Scroll down and click ‘Next’.
- Again, scroll down and click ‘Next’.
- Scroll down and click ‘Perform restore’. Restoring may take a few minutes.
- When restoring is ready, click ‘Continue’.
- You now have restored the course.
Uploading a set of users to your course
- Create an excel file with the first row being: username, firstname, lastname, email, password, course1.
- Fill the excel file with the relevant details (for course1, you should add the short name of your course).
- Click File>Save as.
- Pick a file name
- For ‘Save as type’, select ‘CSV (Comma delimited)’.
- This will result in a file with a .csv extension.
- Go to your Moodle course.
- Go to Site Administration>Users>Upload Users
- Click ‘Choose a file’, select your .csv file and then click ‘Upload this file’
- Click ‘Upload users’. Scroll down and click ‘Upload users’ again and then click ‘continue’.
If you have any questions, suggestions, remarks, you can contact the developers through firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Moodle environment.
The Moodle environment is very intuitive. The two main locations to look for the function you need are the gearing wheel at the right hand side and the button ‘Site Administration’. When using specific functions of Moodle in need of assistance, many Moodle tutorial videos can be found here. Below we show some of these videos on two important parts of maintaining a Moodle course.
The following video demonstrates how to add learners/users to your course:
The following video demonstrates the basics with respect to editing in Moodle.